“When I met Dr. Hrabowski, I knew UMBC was where I needed to be. Growing up in East Baltimore, going to college was not a given; UMBC exceeded all of my expectations.”
— Alicia Wilson, Esq. ’04, Vice President, Sagamore Development
UMBC is at the forefront of creating pedagogies, platforms, and pathways to meet students where they are, and to challenge them to be more than they first imagined. This is a place where people learn you can be working or middle class and become the best academically. Learning that changes lives is our hallmark.
UMBC’s transformational education happens because we are student driven. More than ever, preparing today’s students for success means learning that looks and feels like the world in which our graduates will actually work, create, discover, and solve.
From Catonsville to Cherry Hill, from Annapolis to Amsterdam “in the field” learning is the norm like never before. While UMBC excels in key areas such as undergraduate research, we lag behind in ways for our students to study and intern abroad. We lag behind in experiential maker spaces that are synonymous with the kind of curriculum we began originating years ago.
As one alumnus said, “Whether we become engineers, actors, entrepreneurs, or teachers, UMBC’s DNA becomes part of you. That smart, determined drive is who we are.”
Here is a sample of projects that will help UMBC stay true to its transformational DNA:
- We can reinvent our library into a trailblazing maker space and launch departmental maker nodes such as an SAE Baja Workshop and Finance Lab.
- We can create impromptu student performance spaces.
- We can double our student internship and entrepreneurship opportunities.
- We can ignite pride and camaraderie through a new gathering space large enough to bring the freshman class together, host athletic spirit events, and bring commencement back to campus.
- We can integrate international experiences across disciplines, expanding the number of students who gain global fluency.
But we need your help to do it. Linchpin resources include:
- New Merit and Need-based Scholarships
- New Maker Spaces, Performance Studios and Programming Funds
- Multi-year Support for New and Existing Programs
- Endowed Professorships
- Endowed International Experience Funds
- Spring Break Outreach and Service Learning Program Funds
- Internship and Entrepreneurship Funds
- Endowed Coaching Positions and Athletic Programming Funds