“We’re seeing the direct impact every day of the partnership [with UMBC], and I think we’re starting to see how it’s setting our future pathways.”
— Najib Jammal, Principal, Lakeland Elementary/Middle School
UMBC is no ivory tower. Our model for a great public research university is to partner with citizens, neighborhoods, and industries. Whether working with other institutions large and small, corporations, or government agencies, our goal is to make life better for all.
Through this campaign, we will build on our formula for success to enhance existing partnerships and develop new ones. Programs like the Shriver Peaceworker Fellowships and BreakingGround grants each of which empower change agents on campus and off. The Northrop Grumman – UMBC – City Schools Partnership, the Sherman STEM Teacher Scholars Program, and the Meyerhoff Scholars Program. Together, these initiatives are helping to diversify STEM education and achievement across the spectrum from kindergartners to Ph.D. students. What if we could have a similar effect on the talent pipeline in solving health disparities, government leadership, and cyber security? With new and existing partners we can tackle such high-stakes, high-reward progress. Progress that will be felt for generations.
“We fell in love with [Lakeland] immediately. We were sold as soon as we read the proposal. It’s just a warm feeling being involved in a small way with Lakeland and UMBC. It feels good.”
— Beth and Jon Phillipson, Philanthropists and Lakeland Supporters
Here is a sample of what we can do together:
- We can grow a global network of social change leaders.
- We can educate a new generation of teachers prepared to instruct, engage, and inspire students of all backgrounds.
- We can use big data to work with citizen scientists for advances in health disparities and clean water and air.
- We can build a robust job-training program for at-risk youth in low-income communities, especially in Baltimore City.
- We can fuel entrepreneurial innovations in clean energy and cyber security.
But we need your help to do it. Linchpin resources include:
- Endowed Scholarship Funds
- New and Existing Program Support
- A Signature Student Learning Space
- Funds for Applied Learning Experiences